The Tulsa SPCA has received an overwhelming amount of calls recently about stray animals. At this time, we are at capacity and are evaluating intake opportunities on a case by case, day by day basis. Many of our local shelters and rescues are in similar situations. Your local city shelter should always be your first phone call when finding a stray animal. If they are unable to assist you, below are some recommendations for the general public:
The Tulsa SPCA recommends the following steps when a member of the public finds a stray:
- Remember, many lost animals live in the area they are found. Removing them from the area (unless they are in immediate danger) may actually make it more difficult to reunite them with their family.
- Ask yourself – “If I take this animal, am I able to do what needs to be done to reunite them with their family or make sure they are responsibly placed?”
- This could mean housing the animal for a week or more and/or getting them vaccinated. (At the Tulsa SPCA, distemper/parvo vaccine is required for dog/puppy intakes, FVRCP is for cat/kitten intakes).
- If not willing to hold onto the animal until placement found, leave the animal where you found it! Contact Tulsa Animal Welfare to report the stray.
- Get animal scanned for microchip (any vet clinic or Petco/Petsmart should be able to do this).
- Utilize social media to share pic
- We recommend withholding info to be used in identification (ex. Color of collar, gender, distinguishing features, etc.)
- Search for local lost/found pet groups.
- Download & post in the NextDoor app.
- Alert your city shelter with a picture, description, and location of the animal.
- If wanting Tulsa SPCA to accept the animal, dogs need the distemper/parvo vaccine & cats needs FVRCP vaccine administered at least 7 days prior to intake appointment.
- DUE TO THE REPEATED DISEASE OUTBREAKS IN OUR COMMUNITY WE CANNOT ACCEPT VACCINES PURCHASED AND ADMINISTERED BY ANYONE OTHER THAN A VETERINARIAN.
- Tulsa SPCA has a low-cost vaccine clinic available if needed: https://www.tulsaspca.org/low-cost-vaccine-clinic/
- Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help with supplies to care for the animal until your surrender appointment!
Updated: October 21, 2022